This week's Shop Sundays is all about those summer essentials; I thought it might be a good time for you to consider investing as it's not only pay day weekend but also a bank holiday (so you can spend the extra Monday shopping!). In collaboration with Lyst (a site which cleverly collates all my favourite designers into one, nifty feed - as well as being super good for hunting down something specific) I've selected my top SS15 pieces to invest in:
"Leo" laced flats, Isabel Marant / Black boho vest, Isabel Marant / Red vest, Isabel Marant / Boyfriend jeans, J Brand / Liberty print bag / swimsuit, Mara Hoffman / sandals, Ancient Greek Sandals / breton tee, Theory / grey tee, Rag and Bone / striped skirt, Reiss
For me summer is just about being a more colourful version of my usual wardrobe. I think people (taking this from what friends tell me) struggle with how their style should be when it gets warmer and I just think you should apply all the same rules about shape and fit in winter months. Yes, you can't cover up as much so you need to think a bit more about what suits your body shape (for me its halter neck or scuba necks and no patterns on the chest as it makes me look square).
A few tips:
- Boyfriend jeans are a super important part of my wardrobe in summer, particularly for evenings. I treat my denim terribly; it gets thrown about, rarely washed and often ends up creased
on the floorin my wardrobe. For that reason I invested in a decent pair so that they stand a chance of making it through a season (these). Plus, expensive denim is just such a good purchase - thats one thing I have learned since starting the blog.
- Isabel Marant is such an obvious summer brand particularly now "boho chic" is at the forefront of the SS15 trends. Retailers like Zara and Atterley Road have great replica/copycat pieces, but owning some of the real thing is a worthy investment. Marant's footwear, jewellery and boho tunics are always a good buy.
- Invest in some decent flat sandals - because there will always be a time you need to potter about in the sunshine. Ancient Greek Sandals are the best for me, the leather is so soft you don't get those weirdly placed blisters that causes the well known "flipflop hobble." Additionally, its important to get a good summer-sneaker and these new-in Superga slip ons are really very cool.
- Swimsuits can be sexy, especially now. Gone are the days that they're just for being who *shouldnt be* in bikinis. It's worth investing in them, and the brand of the moment is most definitely Mara Hoffman as they're cut so well. Her illusional patterns hide a multitude of sins too.
- For the gazillionth time; investing in t shirts is key. Gone are the days of 2 for £10 from the high street for me. I spend an arguably insane amount on my basic tees because I need durable (tumble drier, sand and beer proof) versions. The same for breton tees, like this Theory top.
*This post was in collaboration with Lyst